INGREDIENTS (Makes about 4 plates)
- 1 cup quinoa
- Olive oil (obviously)
- Small box of mushrooms (sliced or unsliced, depends on how lazy you are)
- 4 cloves of minced garlic (the jar saves time, but you can go fresh as well)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- Asparagus (as much as you damn well please)
- 2 large chicken breasts (full of all the tasty steroids that Big Poultry loves to inject) rubbed with olive oil, salt, and pepper, sliced into strips
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Or just…
Add 2 cups of water and 1 cup of quinoa in a small saucepan on medium heat until boiling, once it is boiling reduce the heat to low, cover and let it simmer for 15 mins until all liquid is absorbed, fluff with a fork.
- At the same damn time, heat a tablespoon of olive oil on medium high heat in a large skillet or frying pan (I like to use my wok cause it’s fun and makes it look like I know what I’m doing). Add mushrooms, Italian seasoning, and garlic (add garlic last b/c it burns quickly). After they’re cooked tender (about 3-4 minutes), add them to the quinoa and stir that baby up.
- Now that the skillet/frying pan has been cleared up, add another tablespoon of olive oil and set the stove eye to medium heat. Add the asparagus (make sure you’ve cut/broken off the ends of the stems), add salt and pepper to taste, and cook until tender.
- In a smaller skillet/frying pan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Add chicken and cook until there’s no more pink in the middle (about 10 mins on each side). Don’t stir it around too much. Let it sit awhile and then flip it.
- When plating, create a bed of quinoa and mushrooms. Lay the chicken strips atop the bed and place the asparagus to the side.
Pretty tasty, huh? This recipe was inspired by Damn Delicious and adapted by us. Our Einstein-level brains added the chicken and asparagus as well. You can always do rice (brown over white) instead of quinoa, but if you wanna be hip and 2016, you have to go the quinoa route.
-Catherine and Ford
2 thoughts on “Chicken with Asparagus and Garlic Mushroom Quinoa”
Made this meal last night and it provided me with nourishment and also tasted good. Thanks for the recipe.