The Super Bowl is right around the corner. Rise Up! So, invite some friends over and make a big batch of this chili! We guarantee it will be a hit. 😉 Although the weather may not be as cold as we thought it would be this time of year, is there ever not a good time to try a new chili recipe?? Nope. There’s not!
INGREDIENTS: (Serves 4-6)
- 3 16 oz cans of Great Northern Beans
- 2 thawed chicken breasts
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 4 oz cans of green chiles
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional if you want that heat)
- Optional: 1/2 bunch of kale (or as much as you would like)
- Toppings: Mexican blend cheese, Greek yogurt, and avocado (optional but encouraged)
- If you don’t have a Crock Pot, cook chicken breasts according to these directions and dice them.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Sautée onion (until golden) for 5-7 minutes.
- Dump all ingredients into Crock Pot (or soup pot) and mix it all up.
- Cook covered for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. If using a soup pot, cook on low/simmer for 1-4 hours. (The longer it cooks the more flavor there is.)
- Optional: Remove stems from kale and chop as thin as you like. If using a crockpot on low, add kale 30 minutes before serving If using a crockpot on high or a soup pot, add kale 15 minutes before serving.
- Before eating, remove chicken breasts from Crock Pot and shred them (the best way to do this is by using 2 forks and separating the chicken breast). Dump chicken back into pot.
- Top with cheese, Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream), and avocado.
Shredding that chicken was a real forearm workout, wasn’t it? Or are we just that weak and out of shape…? Probably the latter. Cooking and working out at the same time? Now, that’s multi-tasking at it’s finest!
This recipe was given to us by Catherine’s mom. It’s an Adams family favorite, so we know you will love it too. We added our own PGM touch to keep it extra healthy and feed our broke selves as long as possible. And now, it is delivered to you for your eating pleasure.
– Catherine and Ford
Feel free to leave us any comments, concerns, OR recipe ideas. We are open to ALL of your feedback. Thanks for reading!