This is a recipe that is sure to impress. Whip it out on a date or to all your friends and show them just how accomplished of a chef you are! Just a few words of caution: the frozen section at Trader Joe’s is a vortex that’ll suck you in with incredible food possibilities you’ve never even dreamed about. Be careful in there… We’re trying to stay healthy, and your freezer is only so big.
- Frozen package of Trader Joe’s Mushroom Risotto
- 1 package of sliced Baby Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 bag of Spinach
- 1 Chicken Breast
- Prepare a paper plate with 1 tbsp of olive oil and have a skillet ready on the stove top (because you’re about to handle raw chicken).
- Butterfly your chicken breast (that means cut it through the middle into 2 thin chicken breasts) and then slice those into strips (or dice them, your preference).
- Coat these strips in olive oil (on the paper plate you prepared). Season them with salt, pepper, and lastly (optional but recommended) Italian seasoning.
- TIP: use one hand to coat the chicken and another CLEAN hand to do the seasoning. The last thing we want is raw chicken-ness on all our spices/ salt and paper shakers.
- Put the strips in a sauce pan on medium heat. Wash your hands. Cook for about 4 minutes. Flip strips and cook for about 3 more minutes. (Or until there is no pink in the middle)
- Enjoy a glass of wine while the chicken is cooking! Or go give PGM some love.
- Once the chicken is done, set it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsps of olive oil in the saucepan on medium and add the mushrooms (as many as you would like). Season with salt and pepper!! Cook for about 5-8 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, put the frozen package of risotto in a microwave safe bowl (a large enough bowl to fit the spinach and mushrooms in also) and microwave it according to instructions. (3 mins, stir, 2 mins, let sit for 1-2 minutes, serve)
- Once the mushrooms are mostly done, rinse 2-3 handfuls of spinach and add that to the saucepan. (It is okay that the pan is over crowded at this point because spinach cooks down to be much smaller.) Season the spinach with salt and pepper generously!
- Taste the risotto to make sure it is done. If its not as creamy/warm as you would prefer, microwave it for about 30-45 more seconds.
- Add the spinach and mushrooms to the bowl of risotto. Mix until combined!
- Top with chicken strips and serve warm!
Not only is this recipe a comfort food, it’s so easy you could just about make it with your eyes closed. So whether you’re looking to #treatyoself Tom Haverford style or you’re just looking to try something new, make sure you make this recipe! There’s no reason not to. It takes 20 minutes, and did you see how short the ingredients list was??
P.S. Make sure you’re washing your hands. No one wants chicken hands. ☹️
– Catherine and Ford
If you’ve got any recipe ideas, comments, or questions, feel free to leave them for us below. We are eager to hear any and ALL of your feedback. Thanks for reading!